how to choose a roofer
1. Do your research on local roofing companies
Central Massachusetts and the greater Boston area have many roofing contractors to choose from. As a homeowner, you get to choose the roofing company that’s right for you. Here’s what we recommend:
- Cross-check reviews for roofing companies on more than 1 platform
- Search the company name on mass.gov or your regional registry to confirm that they have worker’s compensation insurance and a construction supervisor license.
2. Ask about manufacturer certifications & awards
Certifications in the roofing industry show you that the roofing company has trained every single company in the proper installation of the roofing materials. Golden Group has the following certifications:
3. Inquire about roof warranties & guarantees
Educate yourself on the roofing warranty offered by each roofing contractor and what’s included and excluded in the guarantee. Labor warranties and product warranties are two separate things that are often sold as one. Ensure you understand the difference. All our warranties:
- 25 year workmanship (labor) included
- 50 year product warranty
- Non pro-rated and one-time transferrable to a new homeowner
4. Review your detailed, outlined proposal
Read every proposal and ensure that every step of the project is specified correctly. Product names must have the legal manufacturer names used throughout. If there are add-ons to your project, like extra plywood when removing an old roof, ensure that those add-ons are spelled out in your roofing contract. Add-ons may include:
- Roofing vents
Also review your payment timeline and dates promised for completion.
5. Check out your contractor on social media
Always ask for references, always check for local referrals, but we recommend you go a step further: Check out every contractor you’re considering on the top social media platforms. This will give you insight into their work, their style, their team and their professionalism.
6. Safety counts – Check contractors’ track record
Roofing safety is one of the most common subjects you’ll find on the OSHA website. One reason is that the construction industry accounts for the overwhelming majority of workplace-related injuries and illnesses. The other reason is that roofers are exposed to particularly high hazards which are specific to roofing.
- Golden Group staff is all OSHA 10-hour certified
- We constantly perform safety trainings & evaluations
- The safety of our employees always comes first at Golden Group
7. Give yourself time. A new roof is a big investment
Homeowners often don’t give enough time for the research and proper evaluation of roofing contractors. This can make them fall victim to poor quality roofing services and negative outcomes. We want you to avoid being another unhappy client in the roofing industry. Take the time and go through each of these steps so you don’t have to revisit your roof.
Avoid gimmicks, extensive discounting, and sign-now promotions. At Golden Group, all our estimates are good for one year. We have perfect pricing and we don’t require any deposits until the day the project begins.